[coreboot] INT 13, real mode, block write commands and coreboot

Alberto Bursi alberto.bursi at outlook.it
Fri Sep 8 11:05:02 CEST 2017

On 08/09/2017 04:42, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
> AFAIK the more higher performance beagleboards such as the X15 have
> native pci-e devices for sata, esata, ethernet etc.
>
> I would suggest a more free device such as a BeagleBoard, the RPI
> foundation only likes open source when it is convenient with them
> (side question - how come so many laymen think it is an open source
> hardware?)
>
> If you get a RPI for a long term project you're eventually going to
> run in to issues when support ends and the blobs no longer work with
> new distros/kernels.

you probably missed the info that Broadcom there is an open driver for
VC4 made by Eric Anholt (is also in Mesa mainline), which was hired by
Broadcom years ago and is now also making VC5 driver (next gen of that GPU).

Currently the only thing needed by Raspi (1, 2, 3) is the firmware blob
for booting and board initialization (running on bare metal in the GPU
part of the SoC), that will still work fine in the future.

So Raspi has now upstream support for everything (also its own wifi chip
is supported, don't know about bluetooth but would be surprising if it
doesn't).

It took them like 4 years of lying about it being "open source", but now
it is.

-Alberto