[coreboot] KGPE-D16 PCI passthrough

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Fri Sep 8 05:42:27 CEST 2017

On 09/07/2017 11:21 PM, Iru Cai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem about PCI passthrough on KGPE-D16. I plugged in a PCI to
> USB adapter to the PCI slot, and it's in IOMMU group 7 with the ASpeed
> video card and the LSI 1394a controller. I try to pass them all to a VM,
> but then kernel crashes. I tried in Linux 4.9.47 and Linux 4.12.10.
>
> Does anyone with KGPE-D16 have this problem?
>
> Iru
You are attempting to pass the primary video device to a VM which hardly
ever works, I tried the same thing and it didn't work (I wanted my PCI
sound card in the VM, and as PCI doesn't support ACS and all the PCI
devices on the D16 are behind the same bridge they are in the same IOMMU
group so I had to do that - I ended up buying a USB sound adapter)

I would advise buying PCI-e cards for your needs (they will all be in
separate IOMMU groups - the boards SR56xx chipset is great for
passthru), the Aspeed video isn't worth using anyways as it is terribly
slow and only supports low resolutions.

I play games in a VM using one of the boards USB controllers (there are
two, plus an extra one for the internal flash drive "Type A Female" usb
port) you just have to get a USB header to attach to them and figure out
which ports get assigned to what controller and as there are many
headers you will have plenty of ports.