[coreboot] [kernel-hardening] ME and PSP

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 20:24:58 CEST 2017

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:03 AM Timothy Pearson <
tpearson at raptorengineering.com> wrote:

> could anyone shed some light on these decision making
> processes?  An open ISA and core design does not guarantee open silicon,
> and in fact one could argue that it will mean any performance
> improvements end up highly locked under NDA and similar to avoid
> competitors coming online and ruining tens of millions of dollars of
> investment for even one SoC improvement.

Exactly. The open ISA can go both ways: pushing toward "value adds" that
lock up a platform, instead of going the way we might hope, so vendors have
competitive advantage. Look at page 47 of "Volume II: RISC-V Privileged
Architectures V1.10" -- it basically allows a vendor to recreate SMM as it
exists today, creating regions of memory irrevocably hidden from kernel.
And there are certain things you can't access on riscv without an M-mode
trap, which means that you can't escape the need for code in M mode.

RISCV vendors can create SMM. We need to encourage creation of a world in
which they do not. But just claiming that "riscv is open so there won't be
anything proprietary" is being a bit unrealistic in my view.

So what about Power?  The problem I keep hearing is that power competes in
the server space with x86, and not well enough. It's one of too slow, too
power hungry, or too expensive right now to compete well. I am hoping that
Raptor is going to show us power done right :-)

ron