[coreboot] [kernel-hardening] ME and PSP

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Sep 7 17:11:52 CEST 2017

ron minnich wrote:
> I don't think we can assume that an open, unlicensed instruction set
> guarantees open, unlicensed, blob-free CPUs and platforms.

This is of course absolutely accurate.

But a freely licensed ISA and implementation(s) thereof are *one step*
in the right direction, and a significant one.

RISC-V is not so much a guarantee of anything as it is a potential
enabler of something.

The fabulous thing about RISC-V is what makes ARM successful; there
can and will be multiple different silicon vendors, offering products
with many different features and tradeoffs.

Some can be top performance but proprietary.
Some can be transparent/open but slower.

There is market for both.

//Peter