[coreboot] Owner-controlled POWER9 Talos II [was: Disabling Intel ME 11 via undocumented mode]

Rene Shuster rene.shuster at bcsemail.org
Wed Sep 6 00:04:08 CEST 2017

Timothy,
Ubuntu Server is officially supporting Power8 ( https://www.ubuntu.com/
download/server/power8 ). Do you have insight if they will support Power9?
Can we get a complete overview of all the I/O ports with Make and Model#. I
see what looks like 4 SATA ports (in 2 different colors) on the board (
https://static.rptorcs.com/TL2B01/images/boardsmall.png ), but they are
missing in the documentation ( https://raptorcs.com/
content/TL2B01/intro.html ). I would also like to know what make & model
the SATA controller is and the model of the Broadcom NIC chip for example.
Else keep up the good work. Thanks.

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 4:34 PM, Leah Rowe <info at gluglug.org.uk> wrote:

> Timothy, I think that you should heavily promote the TALOS on the
> coreboot list and also ask to have it promoted on the vendors page on
> coreboot.org. The kind of people that want the hardware you sell are
> here in the coreboot community in large numbers. Of course, this is
> assuming that the leadership in coreboot would permit you to promote
> it here.
>
> While not technically coreboot, it is indeed libre hardware that you
> are selling, and does come with free boot firmware similar to coreboot.
>
> For this reason, I personally (with approval from other members of the
> project) added you to libreboot.org aswell; see:
>
> https://libreboot.org/suppliers.html#raptor-engineering
> https://libreboot.org/news/talos.html
>
> It's very important for the sake of the free software movement that
> your TALOS II effort succeeds and thrives.
>
> On 31/08/17 19:07, Timothy Pearson wrote:
> > On 08/31/2017 03:23 AM, Merlin Büge wrote:

> >> Yeah, I wonder why it was not announced on this list. Although
> >> not directly coreboot related, there probably is strong interest
> >> here within this community.
> >
> >> There is also a channel on freenode: #talos-workstation
> >
> >> From what I've heard, pre-orders will close very soon, and it's
> >> unknown if there will be a second production run of the
> >> boards...
> >
> >> Timothy, maybe you could shed some light on it?
> >

> >> Cheers,
> >
> >> Merlin
> >
> > Well, I didn't want to spam the list; that was the main reason for
> > the lack of a separate announcement here.  OpenPOWER systems don't
> > have a good reason to use coreboot versus the already open
> > hostboot, and now with DDR4 in use on the POWER9 a coreboot port is
> > going to be even harder than it would have been on POWER8.
> >
> > That being said, since there does appear to be interest, I'll
> > mention that the Talos™ II pre-order system is largely driven by
> > the fact that the POWER9 CPU has not yet been officially released.
> > Raptor Computing Systems is the first vendor on the market and the
> > only vendor to be shipping systems along with the first POWER9 CPUs
> > scheduled for Q4 this year.  Additionally, the Talos™ II retains
> > unique features not found on any other OpenPOWER machine, including
> > the ability to self-host critical programmable logic components.
> >
> > Cost is far less than Talos I largely due to a higher level of
> > integration on the POWER9 CPU.  TDPs are far less than POWER8 (90W
> > for the bundled CPU) and we are confident that this machine is a
> > worthy replacement for x86 workstation systems that are not locked
> > to proprietary software.
> >
> > There's an FAQ page here which also goes into more detail:
> >
> > https://raptorcs.com/content/base/faq.html
> >
> > On our current schedule preorders for shipment this year close the
> > middle of next month, so if you'd like to be among the first to
> > have a Talos™ II please get your pre-order in ASAP!
> >

> - --
> [...]

Tech III * AppControl * Endpoint Protection * Server Maintenance
Buncombe County Schools Technology Department Network Group
ComicSans Awareness Campaign <http://comicsanscriminal.com>