[coreboot] Freedom Inside - certification system

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Wed Oct 11 01:29:35 CEST 2017

In addition to the existing FSF RYF system I propose the creation of a
"Freedom Inside" rating and certification system where vendors (now that
there are more than a few) can have their products certified by a
central body.

This would have:
Multiple levels of freedom with a clear central website with
explanations of what each freedom level is (low, med, high, or something
to that effect).
Standardized requirements for company marketing
Everything agreed upon on by various community experts "request for
feedback"
Indicators of performance level and market segment on the intel inside
style badge placed on every device (eg: the laymen could use an ARM
laptop day to day, but has no idea how it compares to an x86 device -
nor does he know that $2K is a actually a good deal for performance
server hardware)
Ease of source-compilation requirement, so that the average power user
can easily roll their own (ex: no getting unsigned 5 year old libs from
a shady website)

I also propose a hardware-freedom-generic mailinglist be created for
philosophy debates, "should I buy X?", newbie questions etc moreso now
that TALOS 2 is in the picture the hardware freedom world is more than
just coreboot so I think it would be a great idea.