[coreboot] [RFC] Successful build with GCC 7.2 and IASL 20170831 for coreboot 4.7

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Oct 7 11:37:18 CEST 2017

Dear Patrick,

Am Freitag, den 06.10.2017, 15:03 +0200 schrieb Patrick Georgi:
> > Having the code base compatible with future toolchains is quite
> > important and convenient in my opinion.
>
> That's a great argument to switch out the toolchain 4 months before a release.
> Which means 3.5 months ago.
>
> > Especially for bisecting an issue, people don’t rebuild the toolchain
> > in each step.
>
> Which means that no matter what we do to crossgcc, there's no reproducibility.
> That's not a good argument for doing something or anything at all.
>
> > The good side is, that most warnings and errors of newer toolchains
> > actually point out real problems – most of them don’t affect anything
> > though –, so fixing those would be a good thing.
>
> Fixing real issues? Yes, please.
> Swapping out the entire code optimizer phase, potentially introducing
> regressions through no code change at all in coreboot itself? Not at
> this time.

Just to make sure, that there is no misunderstanding. I am not
proposing to updating to GCC 7.2 and the latest IASL in the coreboot
toolchain for the coreboot 4.7 release. My proposal is, that all the
boards are made compatible with these new versions, and that these
patches are added to the coreboot 4.7 release.

Thanks,

Paul