[coreboot] [RFC] Successful build with GCC 7.2 and IASL 20170831 for coreboot 4.7

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 6 09:43:17 CEST 2017

Dear Martin,

Am Dienstag, den 03.10.2017, 08:07 -0600 schrieb Martin Roth:
> I'd say that it doesn't make sense to require that coreboot builds
> with anything other than the coreboot toolchain.
> Additionally, It isn't reasonable to introduce a new requirement this
> close to the release.

Having the code base compatible with future toolchains is quite
important and convenient in my opinion.

Especially for bisecting an issue, people don’t rebuild the toolchain
in each step. In practice, people also don’t rebuild the toolchain each
time, as it takes so much time. And going back, and being hold up,
because there are build problems with the new toolchain is very
inconvenient.

Also, I believe the build system does not warn about, if you use a
newer toolchain.

The good side is, that most warnings and errors of newer toolchains
actually point out real problems – most of them don’t affect anything
though –, so fixing those would be a good thing.

Thanks,

Paul