[coreboot] Who has experience with the Intel RVP7 (or RVP15) CRB?

Jay Talbott JayTalbott at sysproconsulting.com
Sat Nov 4 20:31:44 CET 2017

> Yes, tell us what you do about the other (non-host) firmware components
> in your flash chip (e.g. Firmware Descriptor, ME Firmware). And the tool
> (command line if you use flashrom) you use to flash. Often the culprit
> is a broken descriptor.

I left the factory descriptor, ME, etc. that came with the original UEFI BIOS intact. I just built a 2MB coreboot image, not a complete IFWI. I then just wrote my coreboot binary to the end of the BIOS region (after first having saved the whole IFWI from the flash as a backup). This works on other CRBs (and always has since the inception of the FSP), at least to initially get coreboot up and running without having to worry about the other firmware components.

> If you are sure that everything in the flash chip is perfectly fine (to
> be sure, ME firmware should be a fresh image that wasn't ever altered
> during runtime (ME does that), i.e. not a dump of an ever run firmware),
> I'd suggest to remove all power, take a break, eat a Pizza or watch a
> movie and try again later.

Before changing to XIP, doing the above worked fine to get coreboot to begin booting, but then it was hanging due to the signature mis-match. But once the signature mis-match was fixed by enabling XIP, and execution proceeded into Fsp_M, that's when the board then became non-functional. Restoring the original IFWI with the UEFI BIOS has always worked to bring a CRB back to life, essentially restoring things to where they were before introducing coreboot, but not in this case...

I'm dead in the water if the CRB is bricked...

- Jay

Jay Talbott
Principal Consulting Engineer
SysPro Consulting, LLC