[coreboot] Documentation on the website

Patrick Georgi pgeorgi at google.com
Fri May 26 18:59:55 CEST 2017

Hi everybody,

to elaborate a bit on what Martin reported from the community meeting:

In the last few days I set up our server[0] to regularly render our
repositories Documentation/ directory to
https://www.coreboot.org/Documentation/, using hugo for formatting and
conversion.
The old "Documentation" page on the wiki was renamed to Documentation/old.

The consequence is that contributions to documentation can be made with the
same credentials and using the same review process on gerrit as code
contributions. This should alleviate some of the concerns that were
recently voiced on this list over the process to obtain wiki accounts.

This transition is far from done:

Documentation/ itself is a collection of docs of the last 15 years in at
least four different formats (TeX, unstructured ASCII text, markdown, PDF),
some of it outdated, most of it without declaring a license for
distribution (I suppose GPLv2, just like the entire tree, might be
applicable, but we should definitely see that we get on top of things here).

Documentation/ now explicitly declares CC-BY 4.0 as license for all new
contributions as of 2 days ago (there weren't any, so no unexpected
surprises here), providing a much clearer situation going forward.

The configuration of the site is rather rudimentary: Several documents
aren't linked anywhere and the sidebar is somewhat nonsensical, merely
mirroring what the old index.html exposed. The design might need
improvements.
All in all I believe it's a foundation to build upon, though.

I'll clean up things over time, but that's not my primary project right
now. Feel free to beat me to it :-)
Contributions welcome!

Thanks,
Patrick

[0] https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/19881/ plus some server-side work
--
Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der Gesellschaft: