[coreboot] Easier accessibility for coreboot/flashrom wikipedias? What do you think?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri May 19 17:17:08 CEST 2017

First, I agree with the goal of lowering the administrative overhead
for write access to the wiki.

qma ster wrote:
> My proposal is to give the edit rights to all the subscribers of the
> coreboot/flashrom mailing lists
..
> I strongly believe that all the members of coreboot/flashrom
> mailing lists are responsible smart individuals

I don't believe that at all. There is no evidence whatsoever to
support that all subscribed email addresses actually correspond
to individuals. I expect that many list recipients are programs.

> Alternatively, the registration could be made completely open, but
> with a strong registration/login captcha or maybe even per-edit
> captcha to prevent the automatic bots/spammers from ruining the
> wiki pages

CAPTCHA is not a good tool. It is easy to acquire human solving
capacity if you can offer something desirable in exchange. It only
stops very low end bots, and unless the challenge is self-hosted it
is likely actually training some other bots.

I think a more workable and sustainable solution is to enable more
people to grant write access. Another project uses an IRC bot for
this task, so that a group of trusted users on the IRC channel(s)
can grant write access immediately. It works really well. However,
it requires some programming to implement. Please volunteer to work
on creating this solution if you can. I guess that it's about a week
of R&D.

//Peter