[coreboot] What is the KGPE-D16 PCI audio device for?

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Thu May 11 01:49:02 CEST 2017

On 05/10/2017 02:01 PM, Timothy Pearson wrote:

> On 05/10/2017 05:23 AM, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
>> On 05/10/2017 02:40 AM, BogDan Vatra wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking to buy a sound card, does anyone know if the Asus MIO-892
>>> sound card works on linux?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> BogDan.
>> Yeah it does, but honestly you're wasting your money (its overpriced) if
>> you buy that you might as well get a regular PCI-e card and stick it in
>> the x4 as you'll be wasting an x16 PCI-e slot if you use asus's silly
>> MIO stuff (you have to install it in slot 1 on the d8/d16) and no other
>> boards have MIO so its stuck on one computer.
>>
>> Its a crappy realtek chip, so it will work but it won't work well.
>>
>> If I was you I'd get a used pci-e creative soundblaster x-fi, they have
>> great linux support from the company and the sound is way better than
>> the usual realtek or cmedia chips.
>>
> The MIO card does have one advantage -- it doesn't consume a PCIe slot.
>   Slots 1 and 2 are mutually exclusive (the PCIe lanes are switched
> between them by hardware depending on slot population), so if your
> system is already fully loaded with PCIe cards and you really need audio
> the MIO card can be a decent option.
A better way to describe that is that it doesn't consume the lanes of
slot 1 like a pci-e audio device would, right? so you'd have slot 2 as
x16 vs x8 with a pci-e card in 1? I will add that to the wiki.

Is gpp config automatic in coreboot or no? from what I can tell I have
to change the gpp config settings in bootblock if I want different lane
configs.
The asus manual says that you can't use all 5 pci-e slots at once, is
that true with coreboot.

- Thanks, tim always got that 411!