[coreboot] coreboot Digest, Vol 147, Issue 17

Igor Skochinsky skochinsky at mail.ru
Thu May 11 21:54:58 CEST 2017

Hi Allen,

AK> One thing I am still confused about is the relationship between
AK> Intel Boot Guard and the regions of flash.  My understanding is
AK> that Boot Guard only applies to the legacy BIOS region of flash,
AK> not the ME/AMT region.  Is that correct?  So, if that is true,
AK> then is it possible to flash the ME/AMT region of flash with any
AK> ME code module that has been signed with the Intel signature?

Well, in theory BootGuard indeed only protects the BIOS boot block (ME has its
own protection via Intel-signed manifest), so changing ME region should not
affect it but apparently in practice it does lead to problems at least
on *some* platforms using BootGuard:

https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner/issues/6

--
WBR,