[coreboot] New on blogs.coreboot.org: Announcing coreboot 4.6

David Hendricks david.hendricks at gmail.com
Thu May 11 09:25:33 CEST 2017

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Taiidan at gmx.com <Taiidan at gmx.com> wrote:

> To further clean things up, starting with the 4.8 release, any platform
>> that
>> does not have a successful boot logged in the board_status repo in the
>> previous
>> year (that is, within the previous two releases) will be removed from the
>> maintained coreboot codebase. Chips that do not have any associated
>> boards will
>> also be removed. These platforms will be announced before the release so
>> that
>> there is time for people to test if desired.
>>
>> This is not meant to be a high bar, but as a measure to clean up the
>> codebase
>> and eliminate boards and chips that are actually no longer being used. The
>> cleanup will happen just after the release, so the removed platforms will
>> still
>> be available in the release branch if desired. If there is still interest,
>> developers can bring back old chips and boards by porting them to the new
>> tree
>> (and bringing them to current standards).
>>
> There should be an easier way for people to test stuff, I myself haven't
> bothered to do it yet as you need an openid, then a gerrit account

How do you plan to submit patches to add boards or fix old ones so they
continue to build?

I remember there was talk about a non-gerrit workflow early on since some
people preferred using the mailing list to send patches, though I'm not
sure how far that got. And in that case they were fine with creating an
account so they could pushing patches and weren't asking for a whole other
authentication mechanism to be maintained by the time-constrained admins.

, then you need to run a program on the device itself (which is difficult
> if you are using it as a router/firewall such as on my AM1ML)

Can you please elaborate? If you're going to flash and reboot, why does it
matter if your system is a router/firewall? How would one report stats
without running a program on the device itself?

> If it was a more automated process

Suggestions welcome. Would an init script help?

> where an account isn't needed that would encourage more people to do it.
>
> Studies indicate that e-commerce websites that require people to create an
> account to buy something have a much lower sales conversion rate.

We thought about that briefly way back (https://mail.coreboot.org/
pipermail/coreboot/2013-November/076587.html), but nobody seems to have
thought of a better way to prevent spam and abuse. Again, suggestions
welcome.