[coreboot] ASUS KGPE-D16 IOMMU issue

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Sat May 6 11:51:22 CEST 2017

On 05/04/2017 01:50 PM, lowsec at airmail.cc wrote:

> On 2017-05-04 05:52, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:
>> Hey silly question did you turn on IOMMU in the vendor BIOS? by
>> default it is off.
>>
>> This is caused by a bad driver or bad hardware, I had a old graphics
>> card that did the same.
>>
>> My D16 works fine and I am able to assign a variety of devices to VM's
>> with vfio, I doubt this is a coreboot issue.
> Yes, I turned it on and everything works fine. I use it to passthrough
> my graphics card to my virtual machine.

Hmm...strange. I have no idea as to why this is happening. Thanks for
bringing this up btw, I was about to buy one for my VM gaming setup.

My guess is that it is related to the fact that ASUS's PCI-e audio cards
use a PCI audio chip, and thus require a PCI-e>PCI bridge. I hope they
release some native PCI-e audio cards soon.

Shot in the dark - but can you post your lspci -vv and IOMMU groups from
both the vendor bios and coreboot?