[coreboot] Will we maintain Skylake/FSP1.1?

Aaron Durbin adurbin at google.com
Tue May 9 17:19:56 CEST 2017

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Nico Huber <nico.huber at secunet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was walking through the Skylake FSP1.1 support in coreboot and asked
> myself if it is worth to clean it up and maintain the code? given that
> the upcoming release of Kabylake FSP should be able to supersede it (I
> presume it is?). Are there any plans yet to drop it once the next FSP
> is released? (when will that be anyway?)

I wanted to get rid of it, but Intel claimed they had customers using it still.

> Btw. does anybody feel like a maintainer for soc/intel/skylake/?

Personally feel? Or want?

> In it's current state it's very hard to use from a mainboard porter's
> point of view. Many of the selectable Kconfig settings are useless
> (either don't compile or don't run) for FSP1.1, and there's a `struct
> pei_data` [1] that seems to be a remnant of compatibility for a dif-
> ferent blob ;)

That's just an old remnant of passing data around. It could be removed
as you annotated isolating those pieces to different structs and/or
variables for passing data around. The name is obviously not
applicable w.r.t. its current use.