[coreboot] kernel payload

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sat May 6 01:34:50 CEST 2017

Duncan, I'm going to disagree with you  :-)

In the last years we've done all of these things:
- build initramfs into kernel, build kernel into flash, boot into that, and
that's all that's needed for a kiosk or other device
- use the initramfs to net boot the linux, first shown at LANL on HPC
systems in 2000.
- start the kernel and mount the root file system and run from that,
configure a network, boot from wireless or the disk (shown on the OLPC at
one point)
- put the kernel and initramfs in flash, boot that, dhcp configure the
network, wget a new kernel, gpgv that kernel, kexec that kernel, using a Go
userland to do all that (what we're doing at Google now as a demonstration)
- kernel in flash, nfs mount root, kexec kernel on that nfs mount point

Once you have a kernel in flash, the possibilities are fairly endless and
much more interesting that any bootloader I can think of.

ron