[coreboot] kernel payload

Duncan Guthrie dguthrie at posteo.net
Sat May 6 01:23:40 CEST 2017

Hi,

In terms of the actual kernel, the same kernel can be used in theory, if
you had a flash chip of a sufficient size. But there is no need to do
this if you merely want to boot an OS. This is why I mentioned SeaBIOS -
it can be used as a payload and it is what you will be used to. You can
pretty much boot your OS as it is on-disk. It's a 16-bit BIOS, and it
will likely "just work".

Initrd is optional in theory, that is, the kernel will boot - it's
software after all. But it will get a kernel panic as it will not find
anything to boot thereafter. You'll need to build your own initrd. You
might find assistance in what the build system requires by selecting
"help" for the option of initrd in the coreboot menuconfig. In the case
of booting a kernel as payload directly from the flash chip, initrd will
have to go there on the flash chip too.

-Duncan