[coreboot] Anyone got an opinion, technical or otherwise, on this?

Matt DeVillier matt.devillier at gmail.com
Wed May 3 16:31:14 CEST 2017

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 4:17 AM, John Lewis <jlewis at johnlewis.ie> wrote:

> I think I've answered my own questions by checking out the menuconfig
> options, it looks to me as though up to and including Skylake is possible,
> and flashing internally *should* be okay?

Since writing to the ME region is protected by the IFD configuration, the
possibility of internal flashing would be dependent on the current
configuration of the board's IFD. I suspect most non-ChromeOS hardware will
have it unlocked (default config) as their initial flash was likely with an
external programmer.  ChromeOS hardware will have a locked IFD and require
external flashing to clean the ME (unless previously externally flashed
with a ROM w/unlocked IFD).