[coreboot] Anyone got an opinion, technical or otherwise, on this?

Patrick Georgi pgeorgi at google.com
Tue May 2 19:59:40 CEST 2017

Semi-Accurate only claims accuracy according to what's on the box. The
official documentation of the issue can be found at
https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00075

It looks like a software bug in the AMT firmware. Therefore:
- No AMT (eg on non-business consumer devices) -> no (bug | exploit).
- Present but disabled AMT (eg. on business devices without AMT
enrollment) -> no (bug | exploit). (although there's apparently a way
to enable AMT unsupervised under some circumstances with some level of
local access. or something.)

Patrick

> https://semiaccurate.com/2017/05/01/remote-security-exploit-2008-intel-platforms/
>
> The article says "all" Intel boards since 2008 are locally vulnerable
> (ME exploit), but the Intel advisory (linked within) says consumer
> devices are okay.
>
> What the article says about even low end devices still having the
> features albeit turned "off" rings true to me, based on stuff I've read
> here and elsewhere. What's your take (bearing in mind the technical
> details aren't available, yet)?
>

> --

Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle