[coreboot] Why does src/soc/intel/ exist?

Arthur Heymans arthur at aheymans.xyz
Tue May 2 12:24:02 CEST 2017

Hi

I am wondering why newer intel code is being pushed to src/soc/intel/*/
instead of the traditional src/{cpu,southbridge,northbridge}/intel ?

I know that physically things are now on one chip hence the soc but the
code itself is often very similar to older cpu/southbridge/northbridge
code. A good example is for instance smbus:
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/19372/ (unify src/soc/intel smbus code)
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/19258/ (unify src/southbridge/intel
smbus code)
with code that is almost identical so it would be beneficial to have
this code in common for all intel targets, which is somewhat hindered or
unpractical due to this dir separation.

The same could be said about a lot of LPC code, which has parts that are
very similar across multiple generations, like pirq routing.

Another thing to note is that dir names are often poorly named like amd
where in src/northbridge/amd memory controller code resides, while in
src/southbridge the code for both the northbridge and the southbridge
resides.

So my question is why does the newer codebase need to be separated like
this and what is the benefit of doing so?

Kind regards