[coreboot] Coreboot wiki: what license is the content under?

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Fri Mar 31 19:18:20 CEST 2017

On 31.03.2017 18:17, Sam Kuper wrote:
> On 30/03/2017, Patrick Georgi via coreboot <coreboot at coreboot.org> wrote:
>> I'd go with CC-BY for the simple reason that documentation acts as
>> marketing material which should see the widest distribution possible.
>
> This does not make sense to me. CC BY-SA would not hinder distribution
> of documentation.

Of course it would. The mere existence of two different licenses (CC BY
/ CC BY-SA) already implies that. If nobody had an issue with -SA, why
would CC BY exist at all?

+1 to make everything new CC BY 4.0 by default.

>> People who dislike licensing their content that freely can publish
>> elsewhere and set up a (CC-BY'd) link.
>
> Having people publish content outside the wiki and link to it from the
> wiki would obviously lead to even more fragmentation of the
> documentation than Coreboot already suffers from, making Coreboot
> remain a project that requires a lot of effort to grok, and has slow
> uptake. (Cf. Steve Krug's "Don't Make Me Think".)
>
> Surely it would be better to aim to make the Coreboot wiki a "one-stop
> shop" for information about Coreboot, as far as possible. This being
> so, Coreboot ought to avoid licensing choices that foreseeably
> fragment the documentation.
>
>> In any case, we can (and IMHO should) decouple the discussions about
>> dealing with current content and about future licensing.
>
> Are you really willing to potentially throw away *that* many hundreds
> of hours of volunteer documentation effort?

I am. With documentation it seems to be the same as with code: The more
you blow it up, the more you hide the significant facts.  Both should
(almost) always be condensed. And most of the documentation in our wiki
is outdated anyway.

Nico