[coreboot] Coreboot wiki: what license is the content under?

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Fri Mar 31 18:17:59 CEST 2017

On 30/03/2017, Patrick Georgi via coreboot <coreboot at coreboot.org> wrote:
> I'd go with CC-BY for the simple reason that documentation acts as
> marketing material which should see the widest distribution possible.

This does not make sense to me. CC BY-SA would not hinder distribution
of documentation.

> People who dislike licensing their content that freely can publish
> elsewhere and set up a (CC-BY'd) link.

Having people publish content outside the wiki and link to it from the
wiki would obviously lead to even more fragmentation of the
documentation than Coreboot already suffers from, making Coreboot
remain a project that requires a lot of effort to grok, and has slow
uptake. (Cf. Steve Krug's "Don't Make Me Think".)

Surely it would be better to aim to make the Coreboot wiki a "one-stop
shop" for information about Coreboot, as far as possible. This being
so, Coreboot ought to avoid licensing choices that foreseeably
fragment the documentation.

> In any case, we can (and IMHO should) decouple the discussions about
> dealing with current content and about future licensing.

Are you really willing to potentially throw away *that* many hundreds
of hours of volunteer documentation effort?

Regards