[coreboot] Question about Intel HD graphics and FLR

Joshua Pincus joshua.pincus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 17:48:41 CEST 2017

Hi Zoran,

Thanks for your reply.

My situation is this: When the VM guest comes up the first time from a
system-level reset (aka power on), the Broadwell HD graphics device runs
fine.  I see basic VGA both before and during the boot of Windows.  Once
Windows boots, the HD graphics device is configured by Intel's driver and I
see hi-rez output.  On a reboot of Windows within the VM, an FLR is
issued.  When the guest comes back up, no VGA.  Windows does boot but
provides no VGA output.  If Windows needs to drop into VGA mode so that a
user can access the real-mode functionality of the recovery console, still
no VGA.

It's only on Broadwell-based boards that we have this problem.  If we issue
FLRs during the reset of the PCI bus for older Intel boards, no problem.
We get VGA.  Something involved with the FLR is messing up the state of the
hardware instead of actually returning the hardware to a virgin state, akin
to what you would get from a full system reset.

I was wondering if anyone had seen this kind of behavior.  We've tried
everything.  We've manipulated all of the obvious HD graphics MMIO
registers involved with restoring VGA but nothing seems to work.

Thanks,
JP