[coreboot] iPXE as payload?

Piotr Król piotr.krol at 3mdeb.com
Sun Mar 19 02:08:51 CET 2017

On 03/19/2017 01:46 AM, Idwer Vollering wrote:
>> Hi Martin,

Hi Idwer,

>> thanks for your reply.
>>
>> On 2017-03-19 00:59, Martin Roth wrote:
>>>
>>> This will build iPXE option rom into the coreboot.rom file.
>>

>> Which is exactly what I do not want.
>> It consumes a few seconds on every boot, which is totally unnecessary,
>> because I very rarely want to boot over network. That's why I'd rather have
>> iPXE as a payload than as an option rom. I think this *should* be possible,
>> because you can apparently run iPXE from GRUB, too. But it would be nicer to
>> have it in flash than on disk.

We solved that for PC Engines APU2 SeaBIOS some time ago. IIRC What you
have to do is not run init_optionrom in optionroms.c for iPXE. This not
run option rom at boot but makes it still visible in SeaBIOS menu. We
have external switch to enable/disable that behavior.

I believe this was the change:
https://github.com/pcengines/seabios/commit/ac6d3e213a3867bd586b62924b8255d57333e078

Best Regards,
--