[coreboot] Conventions for describing flash memory layouts

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Sat Mar 18 19:00:44 CET 2017

The page https://www.coreboot.org/index.php?title=Board:lenovo/x201&oldid=24709#Flashing
says:

> The flash memory in the X201 is divided into roughly 4 parts:
>
> - Descriptor (12K)
> - ME firmware (5M-12K)
> - Rewriteable flash (3M-96K)
> - Locked bootblock (96K)

I guess that "K" refers to kibibytes and that "M" refers to mebibytes.

I also guess that the values in parentheses refer to the sizes of the
corresponding occupants of the flash memory, with the "-" symbol
representing "minus". This was not my first guess, but is the one that
seems to make the most sense.

Are my guesses correct? If not, what do the values in parentheses mean?

Thanks!