[coreboot] How come the community meeting is hosted by proprietary software?

mdn bernardlprf at openmailbox.org
Sat Mar 18 06:19:39 CET 2017

Le 18/03/2017 00:47, Stefan Reinauer a écrit :
> * Taiidan at gmx.com <Taiidan at gmx.com> [170317 23:35]:
>> I believe it needs fixing - It is a philosophical issue, I mean you have to
>> draw the line or you get the slippery slope for "just a little non-free here
>> for convenience just this once" has lead to most of the community thinking
>> that a system with 100% blobbed hw init is "free firmware" (coreboot just
>> being a wrapper shim loader for FSP in that case) or that linux drivers with
>> a binary blob are "open source drivers".
>> It is a matter of pride.
>>
>> The linux communities quiet acceptance of things like ME/PSP (ex: why don't
>> sysadmins say no and buy POWER?) - is because of philosophy-slacking.
>
> Nothing about this is quiet. We have been actively working with hardware
> vendors to open up as much stuff as possible, for a good two decades
> now.
>
> The reason is not philosophy-slacking. Because philosophy makes you feel
> righteous, but it does not get any work done. Instead of having this
> discussion (and making hundreds of people read it) this community could
> spend the same time making coreboot better and mentoring the corporate
> community members.
>
> The sooner we get away from an "us vs them" mentality, the faster we can
> be actually changing things.
Sorry to interrupt.
I wanted to pass a word.
I agree that the us vs them mentality has to end.
Just a thing about philosophy.
I believe that it makes you think.
If you build a road without a plan, where are you going ?
This is just a balance that everyone has to make.
Rushing leads nowhere either.

> Stefan

I wish you all good continuation.
Freely