[coreboot] GNU11 and C11

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 18 00:13:05 CET 2017

Dear Ron,

Am Freitag, den 17.03.2017, 22:51 +0000 schrieb ron minnich:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 3:32 PM Paul Menzel wrote:
>
> > I think there is
> > no objection to move to C11, if somebody rewrites the code using GNU11
> > extensions.
>
> Paul, the discussion I read made it clear that there were lots of
> objections to moving away from GNU11 extensions, viz.
>
> > There are many GNU extensions
> > which are simply necessary to write sane, readable and performant code
> > (e.g. to implement non-double-evaluating MIN()/MAX() macros, to
> > cleanly control linking into particular sections, to get performant
> > code generated for IO accessor functions, etc.). The C standard by
> > itself is simply insufficient to support all systems programming use
> > cases, and if we forbade GNU extensions we'd have to rewrite
> > significant parts of coreboot in pure assembly and add weird, hardly
> > readable workarounds for many code patterns. "
>
> Now, I don't actually agree with all this, but the decision was made to go
> with GNU11, not C11.

You quoted Julius’ reply [1]. Later he also replied [2].

> Yes, just to be clear (this has split into so many different threads
> that I'm no longer sure what the latest decision is?), I only
> (prematurely) objected to forbidding GNU extensions. Otherwise, I'm
> totally in favor of switching to C11 and not aware of any difference
> between the versions that would cause a problem for us.

So I still believe, that the “move away from GNU11 discussion” didn’t
come to a conclusion, as that wasn’t the topic of the thread. So no
decision was made. At least not announced publicly.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] https://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2016-November/082576.html
[2] https://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2016-December/082588.html