[coreboot] How come the community meeting is hosted by proprietary software?

tturne at codeaurora.org tturne at codeaurora.org
Fri Mar 17 15:25:47 CET 2017

On 2017-03-17 06:27, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Patrick Georgi via coreboot wrote:
>> > I never tried the web interface.
>>
>> We did, it failed us.
>
> I wish someone would have mentioned that sooner.
>
> What problems did people have with mumble-web, and where was the
> websockets server running, relative to the mumble server?
>

> //Peter

I'm sorry, I have to contribute at this point.

I got started with OSS in 2000 when Monta Vista Software (anybody
remember HardHat Linux?) hired me as a FAE.
I was teamed with a salesperson and we were trying to close business
selling an embedded Linux distribution.
Every 6 months or so we would have a sales meeting somewhere and
engineering would share with us the latest product development news,
etc.

Ahead of one of these meetings I happened to be in headquarters (Santa
Clara, CA) and remember very clearly the happy face of this engineering
manager who had just "wasted" (my opinion) 3-5 days generating a
presentation slide-deck with OSS (I don't even know if Open Office was
available at that time) for the meeting, instead of spending two hours
doing same presentation with Powerpoint.

Just because I work with OSS doesn't automatically make me a zealot for
OSS as the only way to go.  I choose the correct tool to get the job
done.  I always hope for an OSS option, but to this day, Outlook is the
only product Micro$oft got right and I will choose it over any of the
OSS options I have tried as an email client.

I will leave with, think of the contribution to Coreboot source code
this energy could generate instead of spending it on fixing a problem
that doesn't need fixing?
Cheers,
T.mike