[coreboot] How come the community meeting is hosted by proprietary software?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 14 08:33:58 CET 2017

Dear Taiidan,

Am Dienstag, den 14.03.2017, 00:36 -0400 schrieb Taiidan at gmx.com:
> Discord is proprietary software, why don't we use something free and
> open source?

1. Discord is not used anymore. Where did you find this outdated
information?

2. As there were a lot of problems with the connection quality with
Discord, a different solution was needed. Currently, BlueJeans is used
[1], which is also proprietary, and it works quite well.

There should also be some information in the minutes [2].

> I would be more than pleased to set up a SIP server or something to that
> effect (I have only 10mbps upload but I know folks who will give me a
> VPS if I want one).
> There are plenty of FOSS softphones for every OS and you can also use a
> desktop VoIP phone so it would be more convenient.

The main requirement is, that it is usable from within a browser, and
all major operating systems and browsers are supported, for example
with WebRTC, so that people aren’t forced to install anything.
BlueJeans also allows to phone in from outside.

If you have a free solution, that works and let’s the community meeting
to work without any issues, *and* you can set it up, I guess we will
find some volunteers to test it out. If that works, a switch can be
discussed.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] https://bluejeans.com/616384323