[coreboot] Inteal Leafhill : Linux SATA driver fails when used with coreboot+grub

Andrey Petrov andrey.petrov at intel.com
Mon Mar 6 07:07:29 CET 2017

On 03/05/2017 10:58 AM, Gailu Singh wrote:
> Hi Again,
>
> I tried to find out the details for following error
>
> ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 4 SControl 300)
>
> As per status register description
>
> SStatus 4 : Phy in offline mode as a result of the interface being
> disabled or running in a BIST loopback mode
>
> Is there any chance that coreboot/grub/Linux is putting SATA in to BIST
> loopback mode?
>
> I am trying to understand who is responsible for SATA Linux status 4 and
> possible candidates are
> a) coreboot
> b) grub
> c) Linux

You already mentioned coreboot+tianocore worked fine under Linux. I
think it is safe to assume the problem is not originating from the
kernel. Why don't you check what tianocore does about SATA? I suspect
tianocore may be injecting some ACPI tables for SATA controller which
kernel picks up. Perhaps you can dump, decompile and compare asl from
coreboot+tianocore and coreboot+grub and see what is different?

Andrey