[coreboot] t420 MCE and crashing with ivy bridge cpu

Marcus Walsh marcusxrandr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 20:05:56 CEST 2017

Hi,

I'm running a 3630qm in my t420 with coreboot.

When using the original sandybridge cpu, I have no issues.

When using the ivy bridge 3630qm:

On linux, 300 seconds into boot I get 2 machine check exceptions (posted
below). The exceptions indicate an issue with level 2 cache. I ran all the
tests on memtest86 (which also tests cpu caches) and got no errors. I do
not have another board anymore to test the cpu to rule out the possibility
of a hardware issue with the cpu, however the cpu was perfect last time I
used it.

On both Windows 10 and Linux (Debian), after a random amount of time
running, the computer becomes unresponsive and the screen goes black with
some artifacting on the edge of the screen.

This occurs more frequently when running on battery, usually after about 10
minutes. When running on AC, this does not occur for a few hours.

On Windows, I set all the power management to "High performance", disabled
ASPM, and the issue has not occurred since when running on AC, I have yet
to test it properly on battery power.

I ran Linux with pcie_aspm=off, and the issue still occurs.

These issues occur on every coreboot rom I have tried. Including the rom on
the t420 coreboot wiki page.

I'm also using the original t420 battery, and not the extended one, if that
matters.

Questions:

1) What else can I do to figure out if this is indeed a hardware issue or
not?
2) Are there any specific kernel versions or parameters I should try?
3) Are there any coreboot config options I should try?

Any help at all would be really appreciated. I really want to make sure
this is a hardware problem before I shell out for another cpu. The whole
point of installing coreboot was so that I could reuse this cpu.

Here are the MCE's, it is always the same two, CACHE Level-2 Generic Error
on bank 7 and bank 8, and it always occurs 300 seconds after boot.

Hardware event. This is not a software error.
MCE 0
CPU 0 BANK 7
MISC 1040000086 ADDR feffff40
TIME 1496380314 Fri Jun  2 06:11:54 2017
MCG status:
MCi status:
Error overflow
Uncorrected error
MCi_MISC register valid
MCi_ADDR register valid
Processor context corrupt
MCA: corrected filtering (some unreported errors in same region)
Generic CACHE Level-2 Generic Error
STATUS ee2000000003110a MCGSTATUS 0
MCGCAP c09 APICID 0 SOCKETID 0
CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 58

Hardware event. This is not a software error.
MCE 1
CPU 0 BANK 8
MISC 1040000086 ADDR feffff00