[coreboot] FILO 0.6.0 payload bootloader - Bug Reports!

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Wed Jun 14 00:13:56 CEST 2017

Hello Ivan,

On 13.06.2017 23:51, Ivan Ivanov wrote:
> Sadly "filo> kernel hda1:/vmlinuz" doesnt work as well: gives
> Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=0

this sounds much like the drive wasn't detected at all, not 100% sure
though. If you enabled the libpayload AHCI driver, it should show
detected drives on the console (only a short moment if you enabled
the GRUB interface). A serial log would help or if that's not pos-
sible, you can disable the GRUB interface to see the output, IIRC.

> Error 15: File not found
>
> My current situation seems like a standard use case:
> 1) ext2 boot partition at /dev/sda1 (or which is called "hda1" in this case),
> size of which is 1GB and it is at DOS-partitioned MBR hard drive

It could also be the size of the filesystem. IIRC, I've run into pro-
blems with bigger partitions too, but ignored them because our OS uses
small boot partitions. You could try the same partitioning and file
system in QEMU.

> 2) vmlinuz is at hda1:/vmlinuz , initrd is at hda1:/initrd
>
> But so far I am unable to even load a kernel.
> Either I am doing something very wrong or there is a fundamental
> problem with FILO which makes it useless outside of QEMU and maybe a
> couple of IDE legacy systems.... which is really sad if indeed the
> case :P
>
> By the way, when I run "probe" command it tells:
> IDE channel 0 not found
> IDE channel 0 not found
> IDE channel 1 not found
> IDE channel 1 not found
> IDE channel 2 not found
> IDE channel 2 not found
> IDE channel 3 not found
> IDE channel 3 not found
>
> No word about SATA, but maybe this is a correct behaviour? or not?

It is expected behaviour. We've integrated the libpayload storage
driver with little love, it just works for the file-system backend.

Nico