[coreboot] FILO 0.6.0 payload bootloader - Bug Reports!

Ivan Ivanov qmastery16 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 19:33:36 CEST 2017

=== If you have some ideas about one or more of FILO problems, please tell ===

%%% 1st problem - FILO is impossible to build on the modern x86_64
system (Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS with gcc 5.4.0) :
  CC      build/x86/context.o
  AS      build/x86/switch.S.o
/bin/sh: 1: --32: not found
Makefile:177: error while executing receipt for target
«/home/owner/filo/build/x86/switch.S.o»
make: *** [/home/owner/filo/build/x86/switch.S.o] Error 127

No matter what crosscompiling stuff I am trying or what edits I do to
Makefile - it always fails with this error. However it compiles fine
at the 32-bit version of the same OS with the same versions of
packages except for a different architecture

FILO is probably the only payload which has this problem - and this is
indeed a major problem, because all the major Linux distributions are
abandoning 32-bit soon. To fix this error, most likely the edits of
Makefile are needed, but sadly looks like my skills are not enough to
fix it (spent the whole day without a success) ...

%%% 2nd problem: There are only three "tested" SATA controllers in
FILO built-in "approved" list - and FILO does not even try to
initialize the not-listed controllers, despite that the attempt could
have been successful if tried! By default, FILO just outputs "ahci:
Not using untested SATA controller" message, without any option for a
user to try forcing its usage... The only currently available
workaround for this is to manually edit
*./coreboot/payloads/libpayload/drivers/storage/ahci.c * and  remove
two " #if
IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_LP_STORAGE_AHCI_ONLY_TESTED) ... #endif " parts,

%%% 3rd problem: while trying to access hard drive with commands like
filo> kernel hda:/vmlinuz I am getting the following errors:

Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=0
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=2
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=2
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=128
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=16
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=64
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=0
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=64
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=0
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=0
Unknown filesystem type.

Error 15: File not found.

Is there any workaround for this? Or maybe I am using the wrong
commands? If so, please tell - what are the correct FILO real-hardware
commands for trying to boot a Linux kernel thats stored on FAT16
partition at the beginning of DOS-partitioned MBR hard drive? Or this
is a problem with my hardware?

Best regards,
qmastery