[coreboot] AMDPSP discussion

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Wed Jun 7 21:15:40 CEST 2017

On 06/07/2017 11:37 AM, Johnysecured88 via coreboot wrote:

> What I don't understand is how this will matter. Releasing the source code won't mean that is the source code they are using for PSP. Think of it like an open source program with a compiled binary available. The only way to ensure the code is the code of the binary is to do your own compiling. But for a CPU that would mean..... something much more difficult.
The idea would be that they would release a mechanism that disables the
boot signing key or enables us to sign our own binaries and thus we
could load our own compiled code.
(NOTE: I am referring to the boot signing key not the update signing
key, one is ethical the other isn't.)

> The ONLY thing that can prevent this is doing away with PSP all together but if you notice in their replies that AMD glances past that idea as not going to happen because it's "impossible".
I wonder, sunk costs fallacy or perhaps someone "convinced" them of its
value.

It is impressive irregardless that a few thousand people have managed to
get the attention of AMD, even if it is just a marketing lackey.