[coreboot] Current, BLOB free laptop available Europe?

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Tue Jun 6 08:45:42 CEST 2017

Hey,

Le lundi 05 juin 2017 à 18:20 +0300, Mike Banon a écrit :
> actually Lenovo G505S has more freedom in some relations, if compared
> to Chromebook R13 : for example, G505S does not require blobs for WiFi
> and Bluetooth if you replace its' preinstalled Broadcom half size mini
> PCI-e card with Atheros AR9462 (which has 2.4 GHz + 5 GHz + Bluetooth
> and is top-of-the-line ath9k card) and its' price is just $8-$10 with
> free shipping included ;)

Well, I don't think that Wi-Fi is really a big deal compared to having
coprocessors that can only run proprietary software, in addition to proprietary
graphics init along with a proprietary EC.

You can easily use an external ath9k_htc USB dongle on CrOS devices instead of
the internal one, which solves the Wi-Fi situation easily.

There's hope for the G505s though and I truly hope it can get close to the
current freedom status of ARM CrOS devices! (And I'm still working hard to
improve the EC situation.)

>  also there are some great technical
> opportunities which chromebooks do not have - e.g. you could replace
> WiFi mini pci-e card with double SATA ports RAID card, or you can
> install 16 GB of RAM because G505S RAM is not soldered ! Still could
> get G505S in good condition at many USA / European markets, e.g.
> yesterday at eBay I saw G505S based at USA which costs just $95, also
> UK-based in nearly mint condition ;) Also there are a lot of spare
> parts available, which helps to ensure the long lifetime of this great
> performance quad core laptop ( Chromebook is not even close at
> performance, as far as I know )

Yeah, those are definitely nice technical features (but they're not freedom-
related)! I also have a bit of a hard time with devices I can't replace broken
parts for, because they're all soldered onto the same board!

Cheers,

Paul