[coreboot] About Paging, Realmode and what is going on

Nico Huber nico.huber at secunet.com
Mon Jul 31 14:46:42 CEST 2017

On 31.07.2017 13:48, Philipp Stanner wrote:
> Well, many thanks.
>
> I didn't expect it to work that way. Would be interesting to know what
> Windows 7 needs BIOS calls for.

It seems to be their policy to have a boot loader (and probably kernel)
that can't work on its own. So Windows (including current versions) al-
ways need either BIOS calls or UEFI services. No idea about the kernel's
requirements, but the bootloader part could probably be fixed easily by
implementing Multiboot ;)

> Any idea of traditional IBM-PC-Bios-calls are still available in
> UEFI-Firmware?

No idea, all of them? usually through a CSM (Compatibility Support
Module). It's kind of the SeaBIOS of UEFI.

Nico