[coreboot] T530: Cleaning Intel ME currently does not work <--> CPU fan won't start

David Hobach tripleh at hackingthe.net
Mon Jul 24 22:33:36 CEST 2017

> P.S.: Just tested the current ME-cleaner version with the OEM BIOS
> version: The CPU fan did spin - even after hard resets.
>
> So
> a) The issue is only related to coreboot.
> b) It is possible to do better here.

I gave it one last shot and externally re-flashed the coreboot image
with cleaned ME and... well the CPU fan worked even after several hard
resets.

At first I thought I'm stupid and then I tried the following:

Internally re-flash with the coreboot version with ME --> CPU fan worked
as expected (I had ME after all).

Internally re-flash with the coreboot image with cleaned ME from above.
--> After some hard resets the CPU fan stopped working as I had
experienced it before.

Internally re-flash with the OEM BIOS version with cleaned ME. --> CPU
fan worked again after some hard resets.

Externally re-flash with the coreboot version with cleaned ME without
CMOs battery. --> CPU fan still worked after 3-4 hard resets. --> SUCCESS!

In short: Flashing the OEM version with cleaned ME *before* flashing
coreboot seems to fix the issue.
If you flash from the OEM version with ME, you'll run into the issue
after some hard resets...

I don't really understand why, but I'll certainly enjoy the results!
... and a beer now. ^^