[coreboot] T530: Cleaning Intel ME currently does not work <--> CPU fan won't start

David Hobach tripleh at hackingthe.net
Fri Jul 21 21:30:09 CEST 2017

Hi guys,

thanks for replying!

On 07/21/2017 01:28 AM, Nico Huber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 20.07.2017 23:48, Pavel Alyev wrote:
>>
>> Not at all. ME can control clock output frequency at GPIO 64/65/66/67.
>> From coreboot you can only set these pins to NATIVE mode. So, if you
>> EC/SIO take clock input from PCH, without ME they may work incorrectly.
>
> you are right. I forgot that the ThinkPad EC is more a Super-I/O and may
> need the PCH to work (and not the other way around). And it's indeed
> connected to SUSCLK (GPIO62). Although I don't know what it does with
> that clock, it's possible that the ME messes with it.
>

>> But looks like at t530 this outputs sets in GPIO mode. David, can you
>> dump gpios from system with running ME (can be done by 'inteltool -g').

Did that for both flashes, logs are attached (also includes journalctl
and cbmem logs).

The only difference I noticed from the cbmem logs though was that
apparently without ME coreboot only sees 8GB/16GB of memory?
Still, the fan didn't spin without ME after a hard reset. It once again
did spin before I did the hard reset...

I also tried to get the cbmem logs before the truncation note, but
couldn't find out how to enable PRERAM_CBMEM_CONSOLE_SIZE (I guessed
that's the relevant option).

inteltool -g shows a difference for only
gpiobase+0x0000: 0x3962a5ff (GPIO_USE_SEL) <-- with ME
gpiobase+0x0000: 0xb962a5ff (GPIO_USE_SEL) <-- without ME

@Flashing: I did use external flashing with the powered T530 in the
past, but today it stopped working reliably for the 8M chip (the 4M
still worked), so I switched to internal from Fedora now. flashrom
reported verification success for that. Further details wrt external
flashing method:
https://mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/flashrom/2017-July/015043.html

Have a nice weekend!

David