[coreboot] (depthcharge, vboot) Difficulties booting on Chromebook

Linus Heckemann acc at sphalerite.org
Tue Jul 18 19:14:48 CEST 2017

On 18/07/17 09:13, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
>> Do you know of any "known-to-work" instructions for setting up a
>> non-chrome OS boot medium that I could compare my setup to or try
>> using
>> instead? Or a way to get more helpful information than a beep from
>> depthcharge?
>
> I have a cros-medium-setup script that does that:
> https://git.code.paulk.fr/gitweb/?p=libettereboot.git;a=blob;f=projects/cros-scripts/install/cros-medium-setup;h=1865ae36de14aafc610a5e8a81e45e8fed0ee343;hb=HEAD
>
> You could try to run the paritions action and then cat a known good
> kernel image to the first partition.

By the looks of it that's pretty much what I've done and I don't see any
differences that could cause it to fail. I'm guessing that leaves the
kernel…

> Alternatively, you can use my whole
> build system:
> http://git.code.paulk.fr/gitweb/?p=libettereboot.git;a=summary
> to build a cros kernel and install it to the storage:
> ./libreboot download linux-cros
> ./libreboot cook linux-cros veyron
> ./libreboot cook cros-scripts
> cd install/cros-scripts/
> ./cros-kernel-prepare pack ../linux-cros-veyron usb
> ./cros-medium-setup partitions /dev/sdfoo
> ./cros-medium-setup kernel /dev/sdfoo ../linux-cros-veyron usb
>
> That will however take a while to complete. I'm not providing binary
> releases at this point (or any official documentation, really).
>
> Maybe reading these scripts can help you figure out what is going wrong
> with your setup.

I'll have a look at that, thanks for the pointer. Side note: the git
repo URLs shown by your gitweb are wrong — they contain two slashes
after the domain, and aren't clonable (but taking out the extra slash
fixes it).

Thanks again
Linus