[coreboot] for Lenovo G505S owners: AtomBIOS ROMs (discrete too!), binaries, datasheets...

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Sat Jul 15 17:58:33 CEST 2017

Hey,

Le samedi 15 juillet 2017 à 16:53 +0300, Mike Banon a écrit :
> Dear Damien, thank you for your interest!
>
> These repositories are not raising G505S free-as-in-freedom level,
> just trying to improve the things: e.g. make a discrete GPU working
> and erase serial IDs from EC KB9012 proprietary firmware. To clarify:
>
> 1) g505s-atombios : contains the AtomBIOS ROMs for discrete GPU of
> G505S.
> AFAIK nobody has successfully extracted these discrete ROMs before!
> If your G505S had integrated GPU only you couldn't benefited from
> them,
> but my G505S has a discrete GPU also - which does not work with
> coreboot.
> And I really hope that having two AtomBIOS ROMs inside coreboot.rom
> (integrated + discrete, e.g. both pci1002,990b.rom and
> pci1002,6663.rom )
> will help me to make this discrete GPU working. Going to test it soon
> :D
>
> 2) g505s-proprietary : contains the motherboard's LA-A091P and EC
> KB9012
> keyboard controller datasheets, and Lenovo's Hardware Maintenance
> Manual
> (sometimes helps to find the replacement parts, such as the new
> screws)
> Of course many of us already had these files, but it also contains a
> clean EC KB9012 ROM - extracted directly from BIOS updating software!
> Compared to what is flashed at G505S by default, this clean ROM
> doesn't
> have any IDs, therefore flashing it slightly improves your anonymity
>
> > It would be good to get this chipset working with Timothy's
> > non-AGESA ram init, which I was working on at an earlier time but
> > got
> > stuck and ran out of time.
>
> Please tell, have you uploaded your unfinished work somewhere?
>
> > I believe the EC has been done too by Paul
>
> Thank you very much for this information! Do you know whether
> it has been 100% completed and G505S boots with it, by a chance?
>
> http://git.code.paulk.fr/gitweb/?p=origami-ec.git;a=summary
>
> I am getting a few problems while trying to build:
>
> tools/segments: 19: tools/segments: 0x000016A4: not found
> tools/segments: 19: tools/segments: 0x00000C2C: not found
> tools/segments: 19: tools/segments: 0x00000E07: not found
> tools/segments: 69: tools/segments: cannot open 0x0000: No such file
> tools/segments: 69: tools/segments: 0: not found
> tools/segments: 69: tools/segments: 49152: not found
> tools/segments: 69: tools/segments: cannot open 0x10000: No such file
> tools/segments: 69: tools/segments: 65536: not found
>
> Perhaps the tools/segments bash script is not portable enough,
> I will try to fix it and contribute a solution in the near future

To answer the question, no, it is not finished. Far from it. There is
very little visibility regarding the project as it was not launched
publicly yet (even though the source code I'm working on is already
available).

Too bad that the script does not work with your setup, reasonable fixes
to make it work would indeed be welcome! It works fine on my setup.

--
Paul Kocialkowski,

developer of free digital technology and hardware support.

Website: https://www.paulk.fr/
Coding blog: https://code.paulk.fr/
Git repositories: https://git.paulk.fr/ https://git.code.paulk.fr/