[coreboot] Using Intel e3800 pcu spi to program flash

Graham Perkins graham.perkins at vocality.com
Thu Jul 13 13:26:25 CEST 2017

Hi All,
I feel I am going around in circles with this problem. The task at hand is to be able to upgrade coreboot/uefi image in a winbond W25Q64 flash chip from linux. This chip is connected to the PCU SPI interface on the Intel e3805 processor. I know coreboot is writing to this chip without problem from the log:

SF: Got idcode: ef 60 17 00 00
SF: Detected W25Q64DW with sector size 0x1000, total 0x800000
Need to erase the MRC cache region of 65536 bytes at ffd10000
SF: erase 20 51  0  0 (511000)
SPI: read 0080 from 0090
SPI: wrote 000c to 0090
SPI: wrote 06 to 0098

However linux is not detecting the flash device or the PCH SPI controller. Disassembling the dsdt table I can see e3800 soc devices such as the HPET and PIC but no PCH SPI. The only SPI device is part of the SIO:

                Device (SPI1)
                {
                    Name (_HID, "80860F0E" /* Intel SPI Controller */)  // _HID: Hardware ID
                    Name (_UID, One)  // _UID: Unique ID
                    Name (_DDN, "SPI Controller #2")  // _DDN: DOS Device Name

My question is does coreboot need to include the PCU SPI controller in the acpi tables and if so how do I do that?

The platform is a custom design but very similar to the Intel Minnow Turbot board.

Many thanks,
Graham Perkins.

Vocality | Cubic Mission Solutions
Graham Perkins
Senior Software Engineer, Vocality | Cubic Mission Solutions
T: +44 1483 813 120 x154
E: graham.perkins at vocality.com | W: www.vocality.com
A: Lydling Barns, Lydling Farm,
Puttenham Lane, Shackleford,