[coreboot] Best supported modern laptop?

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Tue Jan 31 01:15:59 CET 2017

On 01/30/2017 07:09 PM, Taiidan at gmx.com wrote:

> On 01/30/2017 11:53 AM, Philipp Stanner wrote:
>
>> I'm going to buy a new laptop soon (has to have a touchscreen) and am
>> considering buying one which supports coreboot.
>>
>> Which model would that be?
>>
>> >From what the wiki tells me The X220 is supported best, thanks to
>> Vladimir, but also the X201 is listed in the green area.
>>
>> The wiki lists some noticeable issues for the X201, though. Still it's
>> green. Are those issues (especially "The X201 immedeatly powers off
>> after resuming from suspend resulting a completely lost session
>> sometimes (Race condition)" still unsolved?
>>
>> thx
>>

> Maybe the lenovo G505S? it is AMD pre-PSP.

Nevermind it doesn't have a touch screen apparently.

The x220i (i think the i is the one with the touch screen, forgot the
model variant - there is another non-touch model) would be your best
choice if a touch screen is mandatory, it has ME although you can use ME
cleaner to remove the significant bits which makes it slightly better
and it has native ram init.

Coreboot on brand new laptops isn't actually coreboot like it used to
be, it has been reduced to a pathetic vestige of its former self -
simply a shim loader layer that does next to nothing besides get the
purism phonies all excited for a "free" firmware laptop.