[coreboot] Best supported modern laptop?

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 22:13:20 CET 2017

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 12:13 PM Philipp Stanner <stanner at posteo.de> wrote:

> But isn't this whole privacy issue more a topic for libreboot?

No. I think privacy matters a lot and it has always been part of the
coreboot emphasis.

I personally don't agree that the extra measures libreboot takes are
necessary and in some ways the libreboot measures are not sufficient --
they don't free the EC on most of those laptops IIUC, whereas the EC *is*
free on chromebooks, which libreboot does not consider "free". Hence, from
my point of view, libreboot requires something -- no microcode blobs --
that I think does not matter; and for all kinds of reasons they are not
able to free the EC on their systems, and I think that's pretty important.

This is a really hard problem and lots of people are trying to get it
right. We just don't all agree on the importance of some areas, microcode
being one of them. But privacy is and always has been an area of interest
to coreboot.

ron