[coreboot] FILO 0.6.0 payload bootloader - Questions?

qma ster qmastery16 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 23:08:22 CET 2017

I have successfully built and added FILO bootloader to my Lenovo G505S
coreboot image! First of all, I had to use Xubuntu 16.04.1 *i386* because
FILO fails to compile on x86_64 bit system. Also: from
*./coreboot/payloads/libpayload/drivers/storage/ahci.c * removed two " #if
IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_LP_STORAGE_AHCI_ONLY_TESTED) ... #endif " parts, ---
because there are only three tested controllers in a list and FILO doesnt
even try to initialize the not listed controllers - despite that they could
work! By default, FILO just outputs "ahci: Not using untested SATA
controller" message, without any option for a user to try forcing its usage
to test it and made it a tested controller...

now FILO outputs the following log:

Booting from CBFS...
coreboot: ... version (its from the beginning of December 2016) ...
FILO version 0.6.0 (user at pc) date-of-the-build
ahci: Found SATA controller 00:11.00 (1022:7801) <--- this is AMD SATA AHCI
controller, built-in inside Bolton A76M FCH Southbridge of Lenovo G505S
ahci: ATA drive on port #1.
ata: Identified [my 1TB HDD drive model here]
ahci: ATAPI drive on port #2.
atapi: Identified [my DVD drive model here]
ERROR: No such CMOS option (boot_devices)

Then, it shows me FILO screen with " root_dev = unset " message on top, and
FILO command line

Questions:

could you give some good examples about how to use FILO ? Do I have to set
boot_devices in CMOS through nvramcui payload, or it is possible to choose
that root_dev in FILO - if yes, how?

I tried some random commands like
filo> kernel hda:/vmlinuz
but it tells:
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=0
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=2
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=2
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=128
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=16
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=64
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=0
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=64
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=0
Disk read error dev=1 drive=0 sector=0
Unknown filesystem type.

Error 15: Filo not found.

EDIT: found https://www.coreboot.org/FILO but its too basic - for example,
it does not tell how I could see the list of available devices. When I run
"probe" command it only tells 6 messages "IDE channel X not found"  (with X
changing 0,0,1,1,2,2,3,3) - does not show SATA drive, despite I know that
it successfully initialized, because it output its model and brand

Please give any real world FILO usage examples with a modern Linux, it will
help a lot!

Best regards,
qmastery