[coreboot] 8 GB DIMMs on Nehalem (Arrandale)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jan 28 17:41:50 CET 2017

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 17:01:05 +0100
Zoran Stojsavljevic <zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Stefan,
>
> Let me ask you for some other stuff, since I would like to put what I wrote
> initially to hold (sleep state, for now).
>
> You wrote: *The official specs are not trustworthy IMHO and cpuid(1) and
> /proc/cpuinfo **show the same physical address width of 36 bits (which
> would indicate a **maximum of 64 GB).*
>
> Question to you: are you dealing with i686 kernel, (32 bit)? It seems to me
> that you have Nehalem which complies in IA32 with PAE HW extension, don't
> you?!
>
> This is very important -> *Enabling PAE (by setting bit 5, PAE, of the
> system register CR4) causes major changes to this scheme...*

Both CPUs have PAE support, yes, but I think I have never even tried to
boot a 32-bit kernel on them :) However, cpuid with an x86_64 kernel shows
(assumably via the cpuid op and edx):

physical address extensions            = true

But that does only indicate support not use of PAE... I don't see how
this would be relevant to memtest or the 64-bit kernels anyway.