[coreboot] 8 GB DIMMs on Nehalem (Arrandale)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jan 28 15:10:01 CET 2017

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:33:08 +0100
Zoran Stojsavljevic <zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Stefan,
>
> In addition what Charlotte wrote to you, I would advise you the following
> (as general approach for mem problems):
> [1] Please, for testing the memory, use secondary Coreboot payload called
> MEMTEST:
> [user at localhost coreboot]$ cat .config | grep MEMTEST
> CONFIG_MEMTEST_SECONDARY_PAYLOAD=y
> CONFIG_MEMTEST_STABLE=y
> # CONFIG_MEMTEST_MASTER is not set
>
> Instead going to SeaBIOS or GRUB2 as payloads. This memtest86+ could (my
> best guess) show to you what is wrong with your memory configuration.
>
> [2] You can also (since you are able to in some cases go to Linux) stop in
> GRUB2, after installing from Linux memtest86+ package into the GRUB2 boot
> options (this can also help too, my best guess).
>
> (extra advise: if you use legacy/CSM ON, which is in Coreboot in 99.999%
> cases used, it would be much easier for you to deal with memtest86+)

Hi Zoran,

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to convey. I mentioned
that memtest did lock up after some seconds with the vendor firmware in
my previous mail. Of course it's the first thing to try when memory
problems arise - I just tried to boot Linux to retrieve the e820 map
because Nico requested it on IRC. I presume that using memtest as
primary or secondary payload or booted from GRUB2 would not produce
different results (unless the binaries are different of course), no?