[coreboot] Does the 62xx Series Opteron work *securely* without microcode?

Merlin Büge toni at bluenox07.de
Fri Jan 27 20:41:04 CET 2017

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 12:26:56 -0600
Timothy Pearson <tpearson at raptorengineering.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > Core 2 duo is more than a decade old and I think that it should be
> > good enough for a lot of tasks.
> >
> > Andrés
> >

> Something to think about: have you tried developing modern software on
> that Core 2 Duo?  Are you OK with only having hardware that can
> consume software (libre or not) that was created (compiled) on more
> powerful, non-free systems?

I think the need for libre hardware platforms in the range of a Core 2
Duo is as strong as the need for libre platforms capable of compiling
big software projects.

The point you raise is very important(!), however just because you
cannot compile big software projects on e.g. C2D Penryn doesn't mean
that there is no need for them. I have the impression that this is
sometimes forgotten when reading discussions about libre hardware for
general purpose computing.

Regards,

Merlin

--