[coreboot] Let’s solve the Asus KCMA-D8 mess

Timothy Pearson tpearson at raptorengineering.com
Fri Jan 27 00:21:46 CET 2017

On 01/26/2017 05:13 PM, Paul Menzel via coreboot wrote:
> Dear coreboot folks,
>

> As many of you know, last week was not pretty [1]. Unfortunately, no
> solution was found.
>
> Chances are slim, that the involved parties will get along in the
> future, but hopefully they will.
>
> I had hoped, that the community would have been asked for help before
> to find a solution, that (all?) the money could not be raised.
>
> Also, the coreboot project has the source code for the Asus KCMA-D8,
> and the REACTS infrastructure is run to build test the board to find
> regressions.
>
> I propose, that the community steps in for Minifree(?) and raises the
> $15,000 instead to settle the debts, forget about it and go on.
>
> I’ll take my 1000 € pledge for the TALOS workstation and put 500 € on
> top, so ten percents are covered.
>
> Is anybody with me? Smaller amounts are as welcome as bigger. If nobody
> else wants to, I would note down the amounts, already transferred.
>
> Having not done that before, I hope tax rules and regulations don’t
> make that difficult. Please advice how to best transfer the money.
>
> I believe in our community, and I am hopeful to settle this.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>

> [1] see the thread *ASUS KCMA-D8 workstation board port offer*

First, thank you to Paul for making this suggestion; I appreciate the
effort that went into it.

To sweeten the deal a bit, I'd be willing to throw in some overclocking
code for the KCMA-D8 if the community made this happen.  I developed
the overclock on the side for use with my personal gaming rig, and have
been running a single HE Opteron at a 4.2GHz core clock vs. the stock
~2.5GHz(?) base clock.  Until now there really was no way to overclock
the Opterons, but I was able to figure a method out with some fairly
decent results.

Thanks!

- --
Timothy Pearson