[coreboot] Does the 62xx Series Opteron work *securely* without microcode?

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Thu Jan 26 17:14:12 CET 2017

On 01/26/2017 10:12 AM, ron minnich wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 3:41 AM Sam Kuper <sam.kuper at uclmail.net> wrote:
>

>> Hypothetical example: I buy a machine with built-in microcode from the
>> young Anakin Skywalker. A decade later, Darth Vader releases a
>> microcode update. Should I apply it?
>>

> A decade later? You should buy a new computer.
>
> ron
Very excellent example Sam, couldn't have said it better myself.

For us who desire libre computing that simply won't be an option, 4
years from now when the KGPE-D16 is a 10 year old motherboard you will
only be able to buy ME/PSP junk or expensive POWER servers which while
lacking a supervisor processor certainly aren't libre...yet (as no-one
who is able to is willing to fund development)

I have an 8 year old server myself, there isn't any reason to buy a new
one as it isn't being used for anything that needs super juice.